Judge grants protection order against Memphis chef
By Jody Callahan, The Commercial Appeal
Posted October 8, 2013 at 4:35 p.m., updated October 8, 2013 at 6:04 p.m.
A judge granted an order of protection Tuesday against a well-known Memphis baker accused of choking his live-in girlfriend earlier this year.
For the next year, Jason Doty, 39, is prevented from any contact with the victim, whom he is accused of choking and slapping on July 1. Doty — who most recently worked as a baker and pastry chef at Bluff City Coffee and Bakery and plans to open a bakery in Midtown in November — is due in court Nov. 20 on the aggravated assault charge.
“She is relieved,” Marty McAfee, the woman’s attorney, said of the order of protection.
Since 2004, Doty has been arrested at least three times for assaulting women. He has pleaded guilty in two of those cases, and has served two days behind bars.
In the last nine years, women have sought protection orders against him at least five times. Twice, he’s been arrested for violating those orders. Another time, he was arrested for violating probation from one of the assault convictions.
The latest incident happened while the victim and Doty were at his Cooper-Young home watching a movie. Doty went to the kitchen to make tea, and the victim heard a crash and went to see what was wrong, she testified Tuesday. Doty had dropped the sugar container and was complaining of back pain, she said. He became enraged at her questioning, leading her to run to the bathroom in fear.
“He’s yelling, angry, red,” she testified. “Scary angry.”
Doty — listed as 6-foot-4 and 260 pounds — forced his way inside the bathroom, the victim said, then put his hands around her neck and began choking her. He stopped, then started choking her again, before slapping her in the face, knocking her to the ground.
“I thought I was gonna die,” she said.
Doty eventually left and was arrested by Memphis police 10 days later. A police officer testified that he took photos of injuries to the victim’s neck.
Both sides admitted in court that, a few days after the alleged assault, the victim returned to Doty’s home and had sexual relations on at least two occasions. On July 7, she said, she left him for good.
Although Doty did not testify, his attorney denied the woman’s entire account afterward.
“There’s obviously pending charges against Mr. Doty at this time,” Joseph Ozment said. “As such, we weren’t able to present his side of the story.”
Doty’s arrest history began in April 2004, when he was charged with domestic assault. A woman told police he hit her in the face several times with his fist, causing her to suffer a “busted nose, lacerations, bruises and swelling to her face,” according to an affidavit. He was convicted of that offense and sentenced to 11 months and 29 days in jail. However, he was given credit for two days served and the remainder of the sentence was suspended.
In January 2007, Doty was arrested for domestic assault after repeatedly striking his pregnant girlfriend, an incident that violated his probation from the previous conviction. The girlfriend told police that Doty head-butted her and struck her in the head. According to the affidavit, Doty then cut his wrist in a possible attempted suicide before hitting the victim again, this time in the nose. He also kicked her, causing her to fall into the bathtub. He again pleaded guilty, and was sentenced again to 11 months, 29 days. That sentence was suspended.
In July 2012, Doty was arrested for violating a protection order when his ex-wife told police that he was driving by her house several times at night.
On May 18, 2013, Doty was again arrested for violating the same order of protection for his ex-wife, as well as unlawful possession of a weapon. Doty posted photos of himself on Twitter firing a rifle and handgun, while the order of protection prevented him from possessing or transporting a firearm. Police checked video footage from Range USA and verified that Doty was there firing a weapon.
Doty announced last week on Twitter that he’s opening a new bakery, Crust & Crumb, inside the Midtown Cash Saver on Nov. 1.
© 2013 Memphis Commercial Appeal. All rights reserved.